Vacancy: external engineering estimator, Erskine Nov 2023
External Engineering Estimator
We're looking for a talented and competent external engineering/electrical estimator to join our team. This position is ideally suited to a good communicator who thrives in a support and installation industry where customer needs are top priority.
A little about us:
We're an established drives & controls company with many long-standing contracts in Water & Waste Water, PetroChemical, HVAC, Aggregates and the Marine & Offshore industries. We recently completed and won the current SR21 Framework from Scottish Water covering Pan-Scotland. This is a 5+2-year framework.
EDC is unique in Scotland, given that we are both a Service Partner (having a team of fully qualified engineers) and Distributor for ABB Drives, ABB LV Control & Switchgear, Bussmann Fuses & Carlo Gavazzi. We're also Endress+Hauser authorised calibration partners.
As an external engineering estimator you will be required to attend customer sites throughout Scotland to survey for new installations, equipment upgrades (for obsolescence / process improvements) or problem solving in relation to motor control systems.
These installations will vary in size and complexity from existing MCC refits to direct mounting of equipment in the vicinity of individual applications.
You will be tasked with establishing the client requirements and offering the best advice - and solution.
The role will also cover collating materials, equipment and labour costs, gathering quotes from sub-contractors and suppliers (if appropriate) and assessing the level of risk on projects. Typical project values are in the range of £5,000 to £100,000.
The role and responsibilities
Your routine duties will vary, but you will be expected to:
• Follow up on installation enquiries received by the internal sales team.
• Arrange site visits with clients to survey and provide costed proposal.
• Arrange and carry our site energy audits and provide proposals as appropriate using in house software packages and the official “ABB Energy Tool”.
• Cost proposals and prepare quotation for client.
• Liaise with suppliers and distributors.
• Build relationships with customers and gaining repeat business.
• Follow up quotations within a defined period.
• Follow the job from initial quote, through to order and delivery.
• Provide telephone assistance to clients as well as sales colleagues.
• Learn the key products of EDC and having the confidence to support and guide our client base when issues arise.
• Build relationships with the manufacturer to best understand your support structure.
• Work closely with the EDC Engineering Dept. on hand over of installations, scope of works and RAMs.
• Proficient with office-based programmes such as Excel & Word.
• Excellent telephone manner
• Good under pressure & able to work accurately to deadlines
• Investigative, persistent & friendly personality, with a positive outlook
• Presentable with good timekeeping
• Adaptable & willing to learn
• Installation/Maintenance Industrial Electrician looking for a new role.
• Knowledge of electrical industry preferably including motor applications and VSDs & SoftStarts. (any manufacturer)
• Full manufacturer & internal training will be provided to the successful candidate.
Preferred Qualifications/ knowledge:
• 18th edition
• NICEIC or equivalent
Knowledge of Industrial MCC controls including:Variable speed drives
Start panels, DOL, Star Delta
Knowledge of industrial electric fitting including:
• Electrical CAD software design
• Amtech electrical design software or equivalent
• WIMES spec Knowledge
• Machine directive Knowledge
Employment Information and Benefits
• Core hours of work will be from 8-30 am to 5pm Monday to Thursday
• Friday 8-30am to 4-30pm
• Flexibility is necessary in this role, with occasional overnight stays away from home (expenses paid)
• A half hour per day is allowed for lunch
• Annual leave is 35 days. (including bank holidays)
• Laptop & Company Mobile provided
• Company car/van scheme
• Company bonus scheme activates after probation period
• Eligible for pension scheme
• A 3-month probation period will apply for this position
• Annual job chats to ensure fulfilment and training levels met
• Competitive salary
We conduct our interview process over 2 stages and ask those successful individuals in the 1st stage to complete an online questionnaire before progressing to the final stage.
EDC (Scotland) Ltd are part of a larger group of companies that include EDC (Air Compressors) Ltd and EDC (North East) Ltd.
We encourage growth and have opportunities available for the right candidate to progress through the businesses.
CVs should be emailed to email@example.com